FCA Fine? You may be in good company!
Penalties for regulatory compliance breaches can be eye-watering in scale.
2020 largest Fines
1. Goldman Sachs International (fined £97m)
PRIN 2 and PRIN 3 breaches – Risk management failures
2. Lloyds Bank, BoS & The Mortgage Business (fined £64m)
PRIN 3 & 6 breaches – Poor handing of mortgage customers
3. Commerzbank (fined £37.8m)
PRIN 3 breaches – AML failings
4. Barclays (fined £26m)
PRIN 6, PRIN 3, and CONC rules breaches – unfair treatment of customers in the Retail Banking sector
5. Charles Schwab (fined £8.96m)
PRIN 10 and 11, CASS and Section 20 FSMA breaches – Safeguarding and Compliance Issues
6. Moneybarn (fined £2.8m)
PRIN 6 & 7 and CONC rules breaches – Unfair treatment of customers
How could these fines have been avoided?
The FCA’s ‘Principles for Business’ (PRIN) set out the fundamental obligations for firms under the regulatory regime.
According to the FCA principle 3, a firm ‘must take reasonable care to organise and control its affairs responsibly and effectively, with adequate risk management systems’.
This refers to a firm’s:
- Robust governance arrangements – rules, practice and processes. How Can We Help? We can review your arrangements.
Skills, knowledge and expertise of staff – in other words train people!
- Outsourcing responsibilities – know your suppliers and make sure they are compliant. How Can We Help? We can review your arrangements.
- Reasonable steps – under SMCR you need to ensure you have decision making fully and appropriately records. How Can We Help? We can review your arrangements.
- Record-keeping – keep records, and make sure they are accurate and up-to-date. How Can We Help? We can review your arrangements.
- Conduct Risk – keep records of any T&C breaches, mis-selling, product design etc. How Can We Help? We can review your arrangements.
- Conflicts of interest – keep a compliance register to avoid issues. How Can We Help? We can review your arrangements.
The FCA will identify potential or actual consumer harm caused by the actions of firms or markets and take action to address that conduct. These penalties should act as a clear warning to any companies who aren’t taking financial compliance as seriously as they should be.
If you would like to have any of your processes, files, procedures, governance or strategy planning reviewed, in confidence, we can be contacted on the above number. Or, just complete the form below.
Fca Principles For Business Conflicts Of Interest, Fca Principles For Business Rules, Fca Principles For Business Smcr, Fca Principles For Business Sourcebook, Fca Principles For Business Tcf, Fca Principles For Business Treating Customers Fairly, Principles For Business, Principles For Business Sustainability, Principles For Business Vulnerable Customers